Covid-19 Safety Protocol
All our Surf and Paddleboard instructors are fully vaccinated. We will be bringing in guest vaccination policies over the next month. We do currently require all participants in public first aid courses to be fully vaccinated.
Covid 19 in General:
Safety of our staff and guests is our top priority. As the landscape of COVID-19 is ever-evolving, we ask that our guests stay up to date and follow all provincial health guidelines. You can find more information on the current BC COVID-19 rules and regulations here.
In addition to provincial health guidelines, please read and review the following policies and procedures for lessons, tours, rentals, and visiting our retail space.
IF YOU FEEL UNWELL:
If you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 or if you are experiencing any of the symptoms, please stay home. The symptoms of COVID-19 are: fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, new muscle aches, and/or headaches.
If you feel sick or experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, please do not enter our rental or retail spaces and please call to cancel your booking. You can review the COVID-19 rescheduling and cancellation policy here.
All our instructors are fully vaccinated and are lucky that our operation is primarily based outside and surfing/paddling naturally encourage physical distancing. We ask guests to abide by our safety procedures when participating in a lesson with Swell:
- Please maintain physical distancing whenever possible.
- If physical distancing is not possible, please wear a mask.
- Please wash your hands regularly prior to your lesson/tour.
- All guests must wear a mask during the check in process and please follow the guidelines when visiting our Hotel Zed or Mackenzie Beach locations (outlined below).
HOTEL ZED LOCATION:
Our storefront location, located on the south side of Hotel Zed, is a small indoor space. We ask that you please wear a mask before entering the shop. In addition:
- Please use the provided hand sanitizer before arrival.
- Please do not enter the shop if you feel unwell or if you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
- Please only 2 individuals or 1 group in the shop at a time, follow directional arrows, and maintain physical distancing.
- When lining up, please maintain 2m physical distancing from other groups or families.
- When returning your gear, please use the provided hose to pre-wash your board and wetsuit, return your wetsuit in the bin provided, and return your board to the drop-off area
MACKENZIE BEACH SURF SHACK:
Our Mackenzie Beach Surf Shack, located at the Mackenzie Beach campground, is situated outside on the beach front side of the main building. However, as space is tight, we ask that you please wear a mask when checking in and picking up/returning rentals. In addition:
- One family/group at a time in the check-in area.
- Please use the provided sanitizer.
- Please line up 2m from other groups.
- When returning your gear, please use the provided hose to pre-wash your board and wetsuit, return your wetsuit in the bin provided, and return your board to the drop-off area (located on the beach, 100m from the check-in area).
FIRST AID COURSES:
All participants must abide by the following safety measures:
- Students in public first aid courses must show proof of full vaccination.
- Students must complete the online registration form 24h before class and answer COVID screening questions. Please access the form here.
- Students must stay home if they have symptoms of illness before class.
- All participants must wear a mask.
- Students must maintain physical distancing of 2m from others whenever possible.
- During simulations students must wear PPE including gloves and mask.
- Students must follow hand washing protocols (wash hands at the beginning and end of class, before and after meals and snacks, before and after skill practice sessions).
- Students will work with their own individual training equipment and training dolls.
- Students receive their own new pocket mask to use in class and keep after class.
- Students must wash hands at the beginning/end of class, before/ after meals, and before/after skill practice sessions.
Our team is working hard to make sure our gear and shop spaces are cleaned and disinfected regularly. Here’s what you can expect when visiting a Swell location:
- Hand sanitizer will be available upon entry. Please sanitize before entering either of our locations and prior to handling any of our gear.
- Staff will be regularly cleaning and disinfecting all common areas and high touch surfaces using a bleach and water solution.
- All equipment is sanitized with soap and water after every use and allowed to dry before the next use.
Tofino is a busy place in the summer. Guests should come prepared for lines as all businesses adapt to dynamic provincial health protocols and procedures. We are all doing our best and we ask that visitors practice patience.
COVID has made it more challenging to stay connected. If you’re unable to join us this season due to travel restrictions or COVID-related challenges, we would still love to stay connected! You can always check out our blog or visit our social media to see what we’re up to.
Thanks so much for your cooperation.